Thursday, August 18, 2011

Current Affairs

"... Somalia has been characterized as a failed state and is one of the poorest and most violent states in the world."
-Wikipedia

Recently, the lives of the people in Somalia have just gotten much, much worse. Famine and drought has struck the country, worsening an already horrible situation. Currently, about 3.2 million people are on the brink of starvation in Somalia. Children, the disabled, the elderly. All left to fend for themselves as their parents or caretakers have either died or have left for refugee camps. The refugees are not cold-blooded, but rather victims of circumstance. Faced with either letting some of the family survive or none of the family surviving, they have taken what little food is left to make the long journey to the far-away camps.

Words cannot describe this.



This has been a rude awakening for me. Only now do I realise that not having a new computer, not having good grades, not getting to play instead of studying, are all "first world problems". I do not have to face death daily, neither do I have to fight for survival. I am truly thankful for what I have today, and what I have had, and what I will have. I really do hope that we can help them. A small donation will not hurt. Perhaps you will just brush this off, but think, if you were in their position, would you hope for a glimmer of hope? Hope that somewhere, someone has decided not to buy that pair of Nike shoes and instead put the money in a Red Cross donation box? We can all do our part to make the world a better place for all of us.


1 comment:

Lu Liang Hao said...

Hi Sean! I feel that your blog post is special in the sense that you take the effort to post videos and quotes. This post uses the element of guilt to make us sympathise with the people of Somalia. I feel that it is good technique as well as easy-to-read phrasing and writing.
-Liang Hao